Endoscopy Test in Chennai is a non-surgical procedure that is performed in order to examine a person’s digestive tract. It is done using a flexible tube or an endoscope with a light and camera attached to it, by which it can help the physician to view pictures of the digestive tract on a TV monitor and help the patient to get treated in an appropriate manner.
During an Upper GI Endoscopy, an endoscope can be easily passed through the mouth, throat, or into the oesophagus which further allows the doctor to view the stomach, oesophagus, and upper part of the small intestine. The same can be done when endoscopes are passed into the large intestine through the rectum to examine the intestinal area.
This procedure of Endoscopy Test in Chennai is called sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy based on how far up the colon can be examined.
Additionally, Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography, or ERCP, allows the physician to examine the pancreas, gallbladder, and related structures. Also, Endoscopic Ultrasound or EUS is the combination of the upper endoscopy and ultrasound where it is easy to obtain images or details about various parts of the digestive tract.
Endoscopy is routinely performed at Hande Hospital for the below-mentioned criteria:
- Patients who suffer from gastrointestinal bleeding, Banding/injection of esophageal varices, and control of bleeding are routinely examined for the endoscopy test in Chennai for the physicians to perform better treatments.
- Patients with swallowing difficulty due to achalasia or esophageal stricture and endoscopic dilatation can be performed under fluoroscopic guidance. For patients with Oesophageal tumors, placement with a metallic stent is done, especially after dilatation.
- For patients who have feeding as a problem because of neurological disorders or altered consciousness levels, PEG (Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy) is done.
- Patients who are in need of Endoscopic removal of gastric /acidity/ colonic polyps are routinely done for improving their health or to avoid situations from better to worse.
- Patients with obstructive jaundice, papillotomy / ERCP / stone extraction from CBD/biliary stenting (plastic or metal stents) can be performed.
- For patients who have severe chronic pain due to calcific pancreatitis placement of pancreatic stents is done.
- Esophageal manometry, pH studies, and rectal manometry are available here which not only help in diagnosis but also help patients with gastroesophageal reflux or achalasia who are likely to undergo the surgical procedures.
- Other procedures which are done routinely like the liver biopsy, diagnostic and therapeutic paracentesis can also be performed through endoscopy tests in Chennai.
How should one be prepared for an Endoscopy Test in Chennai?
- Gut Preparation which examines the upper digestive tract where the patient is required to fast for 6-8 hours prior to the endoscopic procedure. It is a must to clear the stool, only then the colon can be examined. Usually, a purgative is given for the test on the day before the procedure.
- Sedation is provided for most of the endoscopy test in Chennai because it can increase the comfort of an individual who wishes to undergo the examination. It is administered by injecting into the vein, to produce relaxation and light sleep. Patients under this test, wake up within an hour, but medicinal effects prolong their sleeping hours, so it is not safe to drive until the next day of taking the endoscopy test.
- After you are sedated, on your left side the flexible video endoscope is passed through the mouth into the oesophagus, stomach, and duodenum. Most of the patients experience minimal discomfort during this test and few others sleep throughout the entire procedure. Sedation ensures no sort of discomfort during the endoscopy test in Chennai.
- If your doctor suspects of cancerous growth, they will recommend a biopsy during your endoscopy where you can obtain the results within a few days.
Endoscope use in surgery
- A laparoscope is a modified endoscope used for keyhole surgery (also referred to as laparoscopic surgery).
- Laparoscopic surgery requires only a small incision and can be used for appendectomies (removal of the appendix), hysterectomies (removal of the uterus), and prostatectomies (removal of prostate tissue).
Read also Physiotherapy in Chennai.