There’s a saying food is medicine. Your daily diet plays a vital role when you are under treatment. Here are some useful information on the Indian diet for kidney stone patients. Kidney stone or Nephrolithiasis is a hard mass that forms crystals in the urine.
In recent years, kidney stones in India have become very common. It can occur in almost all age groups. Recently a survey has reported that a lot of women in India are having the problem of kidney stones, especially during pregnancy.
What is a kidney stone?
A kidney stone is a hard mass that structures from gems in the pee. For a great many people, normal synthetics in the pee hold stones back from shaping and creating issues.
Indian diet for kidney stone patients
These are the most beneficial home remedies which are followed in the Indian diet for kidney stone patients.
- Pomegranate – Intake pomegranate which is a high astringent in nature. You can drink a glass of pomegranate juice in your diet. Also, you can add it to salads or toasts.
- Figs – Having a dry fig or boiling two figs in a cup of water and consuming it in an empty stomach early morning works wonders.
- Vegetables – Intake vegetables which have high protein content. This can include the chia seeds, beans, green peas, spirulina, sprouts and soy.
- Horse gram – Horse gram which is the Kulthi can break down bigger stones and wash them out through urine if you consume at least 50 gm of this dal twice a day to avoid the recurrence.
- Pattharchatta leaves – This medicinal plant in India eliminates stones in the body because it has anti – inflammatory and antimicrobial properties to treat kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
- Banana stem juice – It relieves your pain from the kidney stones to a great extent as mentioned in our ancient books.
- Fibre content foods – Intake more fibre content and calcium content foods like the legumes, grains, oats, millets, fruits, and vegetables which can reduce the calcium in the urinary tract binding it to the intestines.
Check out Home Remedies for Anal Fissures
Foods that cause kidney stones
You have to be very cautious while consuming high levels of oxalate vegetables because it is one of the major reasons for the cause of kidney stones. Moreover, you have to limit the intake or avoid having spinach, rhubarb, tomatoes, brinjal, beetroot, celery, peanuts, sweet potatoes, almonds, okra, parsley, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.
What is the best Indian diet for kidney stone patients?
Consuming ample fluids would be the best remedy. Intake of at least 8 – 10 glasses of water on a daily basis can be the best option besides unsweetened fresh fruit juices, pomegranate juice, banana stem juice, lemonade, buttermilk, barley water, infused water because it helps to dissolve kidney stones fast.
Sample Indian diet for kidney stone patients:
Early morning in an empty stomach
- Drink 2 figs boiled in a cup of water (or)
- Mix 1 teaspoon of basil leaves and honey in water to drink (or)
- Eat 4-5 Patthar chatta leaves.
- Have 1 cup of wheat bran flakes with milk + 1 pomegranate. (or)
- Eat 1 bowl of vegetable dailya + 1 pomegranate.
- Drink 1 glass of barley water (or) Lemon juice (or) banana stem juice
- Have 1 cup salad with 2 chapatis + 1 glass buttermilk (or)
- 1 cup salad with 1 cup of brown rice + 1 glass of buttermilk(or)
- 1 cup of horse gram dhal + 1 glass of buttermilk (or)
- 1 cup of vegetable + 1 glass of buttermilk.
(Do not have cruciferous vegetables and also don’t forget to add little asafoetida while you consume the butter milk because adding asafoetida can relieve pain.)
- ½ cup poha + 1 glass barley Water (or)
- ½ cup upma + 1 glass barley water
1 glass of lemonade (or) banana stem juice
Same as lunch
1 cup of milk without sugar.
Do’s And Dont’s While Following Diet Plan for Kidney Stone
- Tomato with seed.
- Avoid drinking a lot of coffee/tea and alcoholic beverages
- More intake of sea foods and salty foods.
- Regular intake of Guavas.
- Drink sufficient water
- Take adequate amount of Calcium.
- Limited amount of animal protein.
Foods to avoid for kidney stones?
1. Reduce oxalate intake.
2. Reduce sodium intake.
3. Limit animal protein and replace it with plant-based foods that are rich in protein and low in oxalate.
4. Consume calcium foods but ensure to take it in the right amounts because calcium can sometimes block other substances in the digestive tract causing kidney stones.
Read also Diabetes Health Tips